Friday, June 27, 2014

Faithful Fridays ~ {Psalm 42}

Happy Friday, everyone!  :)  My apologies for disappearing on you last Friday--we were getting ready to head out of town to see my aunt, who is doing much, much better.  She's walking (without a walker) and talking, and slowly getting better.  We all appreciate your prayers so, so much, once again!  :)







Faithful Fridays is a weekly linky party hosted on my blog. I made it so that Christians could have one special day out of the week (Friday) to share something from their walk with Jesus on their blog. If you'd like to participate, write your post, grab the button from the Faithful Fridays page on my blog (so that it will link back here), and come link up at the bottom of this post! :)



*****************************************************************************************************



I wanted to share a chapter of the Bible with you guys that has made an impression on me--it's something I bring to mind often when I'm facing something tough.  I was reading it in my NIV/Message side-by-side translation Bible and the Message version just really stuck with me.




A white-tailed deer drinks from the creek; I want to drink God, deep draughts of God.  I'm thirsty for God-alive.  I wonder, 'Will I ever make it--arrive and drink in God's presence?'  I'm on a diet of tears--tears for breakfast, tears for supper.  All day long people knock at my door, pestering , 'Where is this God of yours?'



These are the things I go over and over, emptying out the pockets of my life.  I was always at the head of the worshiping crowd, right out in front, leading them all, eager to arrive and worship, shouting praises, singing thanksgiving--celebrating, all of us, God's feast!




Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?  Why are you crying the blues?  Fix my eyes on God-soon I'll be praising again.  He puts a smile on my face. He's my God.  




When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse everything I know of you, from Jordan depths to Hermon heights, including Mount Mizar.  Chaos calls to chaos, to the tune of whitewater rapids.  Your breaking surf, your thundering breakers crash and crush me.  Then God promises to love me all day, sing songs all through the night!  My life is God's prayer.



Sometimes I ask God, my rock-solid God, 'Why did you let me down?  Why am I walking around in tears, harassed by enemies?'  They're out for the kill, these tormentors with their obscenities, taunting day after day, 'Where is this God of yours?'



Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?  Why are you crying the blues?  Fix my eyes on God--soon I'll be praising again.  He puts a smile on my face.  He's my God."
-Psalm 42



This psalmist knew trouble, you guys.  He knew what it was like to feel abandoned God, to feel like God was either not present or remaining silent.  He knew what it was to long for God; for His action, His presence, His comfort.  He knew what it was to be tormented by voices that taunted him, asking where his God was in that time of trouble.  



And in the midst of all that, he reminded himself of God.  He rehearsed everything he knew of God, all he had seen Him do, all God had done in his life.  He rehearsed what he knew of the power of God; His majestic creation, the heavens that proclaimed the glory of God.  He rehearsed the ups and downs of his life, and how God had opened up doors and led him through the seasons.  



And he finished it all with a reminder once again--"Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?  Why are you crying the blues?  Fix my eyes on God--soon I'll be praising again.  He puts a smile on my face.  He's my God."



He rehearsed everything he knew of God, reminded himself of why he could trust Him, and then he took up his song of faith, his song of joy in the Lord, and he made it through.  May we do the same.


3 comments:

Jazzmin said...

Thank for for writing about this. I can see why this stuck out to you, especially the way it is relayed in the Message. This is definitely one of those bible passages that leaves you sort of speechless, expect to just think, "wow". This struck a chord with me. Wonderful post! Such an encouragement! I especially love the last part/verse that you reiterated.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Joy!
God Bless you,
Jazzmin :)

Ellie (or Bernie) said...

Hi joy! You are a great writer! I can see how God is using your talent! Thank you for the encouragement.

In Christ,
Sarah
Foreverchanged13.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hello Joy. Thank you for this encouraging post.

I am not able to email your mother; my email messages are being returned. Would you please tell her that Mildred Nalley says "hi" and that I am remembering her in prayer.

Thank you.

Blog Designed by The Single Momoirs